Date(s) - October 25, 2019 - October 27, 2019
Recognizing our Inherent True Nature
Weekend Residential Meditation Retreat
With Tergar Instructor Edwin Kelley
Mount Madonna Retreat Center
Watsonville, California, USA
All beings are endowed with an inherent good nature, but we fail to recognize it in ourselves and others. Meditation is the consummate tool for discovering our true nature. We begin by recognizing awareness, then learn to calm and stabilize our mind. With our mind at ease we can then explore the wellspring of loving-kindness, compassion and wisdom that lies innate within us.
This workshop includes talks by Edwin Kelley, DVD teachings by Mingyur Rinpoche, as well as guided meditations and discussion.
Participation is open to both beginning and experienced meditators. There are no prerequisites, but if you have not previously attended a meditation retreat or workshop, we recommend that you take Tergar’s free online “Introduction to Meditation” course before the workshop.
About the Instructor:
Edwin Kelley attended his first meditation retreat in 1975 and has practiced in both the Theravada and the Tibetan Buddhist traditions. He was Executive Director of the Insight Meditation Society from 1996-2003 and has a postgraduate diploma in Buddhist Studies. Edwin is a long-time student of Mingyur Rinpoche. In addition to his work as a senior instructor, he currently serves as co-executive director, and is a board member for Tergar International.
- Friday, October 25, 4:00 p.m. check in begins, 5:30 p.m. dinner, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. opening program
- Saturday, October 26, 6:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 27, 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The retreat will take place in a secluded environment with the support of a community of meditators. The daily schedule will include six to eight hours of meditation per day (practiced in twenty- to thirty-minute sessions), and will incorporate periods of silence, along with video teachings by Mingyur Rinpoche, group discussions, and presentations on the key points of meditation.
Click here to see a complete schedule.
Two weeks prior we will send you additional details about the program including what to bring and other important information.
The retreat will be held at Mount Madonna Center, at 445 Summit Rd., Watsonville, CA 95076, approximately 2 hours driving time south of San Francisco, in the Santa Cruz Mountains of the Central California coast overlooking Monterey Bay. Click here for directions.
Meals will be vegetarian. The retreat center will do its best, within reason, to accommodate additional dietary restrictions, as long as those restrictions are noted when registering online.
Types of Accommodations and Costs for the Weekend per Person:
- Program Fee and Meals for Commuters (no accommodations) – $221
- Program Fee, Meals and Camping using your own tent or camper – $243
- Program Fee, Meals and Camping using the Center’s tents – $261
- Program Fee, Meals and Shared Dorm Room (4-7 per room) – $301
- Program Fee, Meals and Shared Triple Room – $329
- Program Fee, Meals and Shared Double Room – $371
- Program Fee, Meals and Single Room – $427
- Program Fee, Meals and Single Room with Bath – $487
- All accommodations have shared bathrooms. Bedding is included for indoor accommodations, but towels are not.
- Double & single rooms are located in a variety of settings including the Oak Cabins, RAM Cottages, Seminar House (where our program is located) and the Conference Center.
- Triple Share and Dorm Rooms (4-7 people each) are located in the Seminar House and Conference Center.
- Cabins, cottages and tent camping have adjacent parking and are located 10-15 minutes walk from the Seminar House.
- Camper van sites are adjacent to the Seminar House.
- Single rooms will be limited. If other occupancy rooms are not filled by the retreat start date, they may be made available as single rooms at the single-room rate. If single rooms are not available when you register and you wish to be put on a waitlist for a single room, please indicate in the enrollment form.
- Please indicate on the enrollment form if you have any mobility issues or special requests for accommodations.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
We strive to offer programs like this one as broadly as we can, regardless of ability to pay. Please consider adding an additional donation during registration or at the event to help share these teachings with as many people as possible.
If your ability to pay makes it difficult to attend this program, we will make every effort to help. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order for us to make a commitment to the retreat center, we must receive full payment at the time of registration.
A $75 cancellation fee will apply to any cancellation prior to September 13. Cancellations after September 13 will be subject to full cancellation penalties.
For More Information Contact:
Mount Madonna Center, Watsonville California, United States