Date(s) - September 13, 2019 - September 15, 2019
Sleep, Dreams and Awareness
Three-Day Retreat with Tergar Lama Khenpo Kunga
Holy Wisdom Monastery
Middleton, Wisconsin, USA
The practice of meditation allows us to connect with a source of inner peace and well-being that we can experience at any time, even when we find ourselves in chaotic or challenging circumstances. In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, life’s challenges can be used as opportunities to foster awakening, and the process of dying is said to present a unique and potent opportunity. A key to taking advantage of this opportunity lies in two of the most common experiences in our lives: the states of deep sleep and dreaming.
For more than a thousand years, meditation practices that enable us to explore these states of consciousness have been valued as profound methods for transforming the mind and preparing for the moment of death.
In this three-day retreat, Khenpo Kunga will offer practical insight on sleeping, dreaming, and ways to approach death with dignity, awareness, and care. These teachings will draw on those from the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. The retreat will include periods of teaching, discussion and short periods of meditation.
Friday and Saturday, September 13—14, 9:00am – 9:00pm
Sunday, September 15, 9:00am – 5:00pm
All participants must select an admission level to register.
- Basic – This level covers the actual cost of the program – $290
- Sponsor – This level allows us to offer a reduced price level for seniors, full-time students, and those on a limited income – $365
- Reduced – Reduced fee for full-time students and others with limited incomes – $215
- Single Room with continental breakfast for September 13, 14 – $160
- Shared Double Room with continental breakfast for September 15 – $100/person
We make final arrangements for weekend events 10 days before the event start day, and Holy Wisdom requires a final ‘head count’ for meals 7 days in advance. Therefore:
- All cancellations after September 3 — for both residential and non-residential participants — will incur a $30 cancellation fee.
- All cancellations after September 9 will forfeit the meal fee of $75 (in addition to the $30 cancellation fee).
- Residential participants only: if you need to cancel after September 9, we will attempt to rent that room and give you a refund for the room rental. If we cannot rent the room, we will be unable to refund your lodging fees. (The aforementioned fees also apply).
Cancellations will be accepted up until 24 hours before the retreat begins.
Tergar Meditation Community – Madison
About Khenpo Kunga:
Khenpo Kunga became a monk at a young age and began his education at Tergar monastery, where he studied the rituals, prayers, and other traditional practices of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. At fifteen, he entered an extended meditation retreat and spent three years mastering the profound contemplative practices of the Kagyü lineage. Following this period of intense meditation practice, he entered the renowned Dzongsar monastic college near Dharamsala in Northwest India. After studying there for eleven years and receiving his Khenpo degree (roughly equivalent to a PhD), he taught at Dzongsar college for three additional years. Khenpo Kunga’s primary teacher is Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, though he has studied with many other revered masters as well. In recent years, Khenpo Kunga has taught in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and the United States as one of the main teachers for the worldwide network of Tergar monasteries, meditation centers, and meditation groups.
Holy Wisdom Monastery, Middleton WI, United States