Date(s) - October 11, 2017 - November 21, 2017
Opening the Heart: Joy of Living 2
Video teachings by Mingyur Rinpoche
With Tergar instructor Antonia Sumbundu
In this six-week course, we will learn how to meditate on loving-kindness and compassion, a profound practice that helps us open our hearts to others and relax the self-centered tendencies that lead to anxiety, dissatisfaction, and suffering. Cultivating loving-kindness and compassion helps us to see the basic goodness that all beings share. By relating to others in an open-hearted way, we bring peace to the mind and develop a sense of confidence and purpose. This, in turn, naturally brings harmony to our relationships and enables us to work with challenging situations more effectively.
Each lesson includes experiential teachings by Mingyur Rinpoche, as well as guided meditations and moderated discussions with a senior Tergar instructor. The first video—An Introduction to Loving-kindness and Compassion Meditation—will be available as soon as you register.
- Course fee: $99 ($75 for repeating students/seniors/full-time students)
- Course Length: 6 Weeks
- Start Date: October 11, 2017
- End Date: November 21, 2017
- Instructor: Antonia Sumbundu
Who can attend this course?
This course is open to meditators who have previously attended Joy of Living Level 1 and have met the practice requirements (fifty hours of formal meditation based on the teachings in Level 1), and also to those who have not attended these workshops, but who have practiced meditation regularly for at least three years.
What will I learn in this course?
The second level of the Joy of Living teaches us how to open our hearts to others, as well as to our own challenges and suffering. We do this by first recognizing that loving-kindness and compassion are with us every moment, and then nurturing these qualities until they reach their fullest expression. Meditating on the four immeasurables—love, compassion, joy, and equanimity—is the practical tool we use to connect with these qualities.
In particular, you will learn:
- How the tendency to fixate on one’s own well-being creates anxiety and suffering
- How positive mental states like love and compassion erode the causes of dissatisfaction
- How these positive mental states can be cultivated through meditation
- How ordinary experiences, and even “negative” factors like difficult emotions and physical pain, can be transformed into sources of empathy and compassion using the practice of meditation
What does the course include?
- This class features:
- Weekly video teachings by Yongey Mingur Rinpoche
- Course discussion forum with a Tergar Instructor
- A printable course guide and practice log
- A live webinar event with an Instructor held at two times so that people worldwide can participate
Registration opens September 13, 2017, one month before our course begins.
NOTE: You must register for Tergar Learning, activate your account by clicking a link in your email and log-in before you can register for this course.
Not registered for Tergar Learning yet?
To register, once registration is open, please log in to Tergar Learning and visit learning.tergar.org/course_library/joy-of-living-level-2/