Date(s) - January 16, 2019 - January 22, 2019
Calming the Mind: Joy of Living 1
Video teachings by Mingyur Rinpoche
With Tergar Instructor Tim Olmsted
Assisted by Tergar Facilitator Ani Jude Avery
In this six-week ONLINE course, we will learn how to transform all experiences, even difficult thoughts and emotions, into sources of joy. With the guidance of Tibetan meditation master Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, we will explore the landscape of our experience with mindful awareness, learning how to use the body, sensory experiences, thoughts, emotions, and even awareness itself as supports for meditation.
Each lesson includes experiential teachings by Mingyur Rinpoche, as well as guided meditations and moderated discussions with a Tergar instructor. The first three videos will be available as soon as you register.
This ONLINE course covers the same material as the in-person Calming the Mind: Joy of Living 1 weekend workshops.
What will I learn in this seminar?
In this seminar, you will learn:
- How to start a daily meditation practice, including the correct meditation posture and the ideal length of a meditation session
- How to rest in open awareness, a state of spacious and alert presence
- How to cultivate focused awareness by using visual objects, sounds, tastes, and other sense objects as a support for meditation
- How to transform physical pain, difficult emotions, and destructive thought patterns using the practice of awareness meditation
- How to deal with distractions and obstacles in meditation, such as excessive thought activity, sleepiness, and discouragement
About the Joy of Living Program
The Joy of Living program provides a path of meditation training that is open to people of all faiths and belief systems. The style of meditation presented in this program teaches how to work with the challenges of everyday life to create a peaceful mind and joyful heart. The training itself is comprised of three levels. In Calming the Mind, the first level of the Joy of Living, we learn how to use any situation or experience, even difficult emotions and physical pain, as a gateway to inner peace. The second level, Opening the Heart, focusing on the cultivation of loving-kindness and compassion, while the third level, Awakening Wisdom, teaches the practice of insight meditation.
Course fee: $125
Course Length: 6 Weeks
Start Date: January 16, 2019
End Date: February 26, 2019
Instructor: Tim Olmsted
Assistant: Ani Jude Avery
- Video teachings from Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
- Course discussion forum with our instructors
- Printable course and practice guide
- A live webinar event with the instructors held at two times so that people worldwide can participate
Special rate of $95 for repeat Joy of Living 1 students, seniors (65+), monastics, full-time students.
Registration opens December 21, 2018.
NOTE: You must register for Tergar Learning, activate your account by clicking a link in your email, and log-in before you can register for this course.
Not registered for Tergar Learning yet?
To register, once registration is open, please log in to Tergar Learning and visit learning.tergar.org/course_library/joy-of-living-1/